Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Another TIV project (MIDSCAR and the TIV4)

So I told myself I was going to be done with or atleast cut down on the posts where I bitch about pointless stuff. But I think this is worth bringing up. Over the last couple of years as we all know a couple of research groups have come together. This elite (yes elite, whether we like to admit it or not these groups would blow the rest of us chasers out of the water)group includes TWISTEX, VORTEX (1 and 2), and even Reed Timmer and his dominator. In my opinion there isn't much room left for more research groups. However, a group from southern Illinois is gonna try to join. This post was inspired by a thread over at ST and other info I've gathered from Youtube and Facebook.
Alright, so first off over at good 'ole StormTrack, in one of the threads someone posted a link to a couple of Youtube videos from this group wanting to build their own TIV(I think this would make TIV4) and they have their own group called "Midwest Storm Chasers and Researchers" a.k.a. MIDSCAR. Now this sounds like a good idea however the following videos show us the people who are in this group. Aside from the extremely annoying and ignorant narrator, they don't seem to know a ton about chasing. We've all been there and that's not the reason I'm posting this on here. The reason I'm posting is the fact that none of us tried to build our own tornado intercept and research group and TIV while knowing this little about chasing. Note the lightbar ;) :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k724Jlsh8Zw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI7oA_mGZpQ&feature=related

So after seeing how these people acted I looked at their profile on Youtube to see what this group was about. Looking through their Youtube and Facebook profiles it sounds like their ultimate goal which they are expecting to accomplish within the not so distant future is to intercept a tornado with their own TIV. Aside from their lack of knowledge about chasing, the big question I have is how is a 17 year old going to know how to or have the resources to analyze the data that would come from a tornado interecept? Show me a teen who can do that and I'll shut up. Or maybe they aren't trying to collect data at all, but then why even try to interecept a tornado? What's the point? Risking your life for....well I cant think of anything that would be worth risking my life intercepting a tornado unless it was for research. And even still I would give that responsibility to the professional research groups who are out there doing it, and this is not one of those pro groups. I'm not knocking this group for chasing, we all started out naive but then again, like I said earlier, none of us tried to start our own tornado research group when we were just starting out either. There's a lot more to the research of tornadoes than driving a half-assed version of Mr. Casey's design in to a tornado. And I doubt these guys have any idea what it would take to accomplish their goal. Anyways, I dont care that they're chasing tornadoes with little to no experience. As Mr. Doms puts it, "Darwin, table for one please." For some reason it just really pisses me off that these people are trying to act like such know-it-alls when they really don't know shit. .

18 comments:

Dan said...

Wow. I hadn't even heard of the group until I ran across your post. Very interesting, yes it is a 17 year old with which has a second year meteorology student from SCSU helping them now. I don't know about many meteorology programs, but a 2nd year in most B.S. Programs hardly has any of the actual core courses. It's entertaining to see how defensive the group gets right away on everything.

Especially their mission statement "The mission of MIDSCAR is to provide
The National Weather Service timely
severe weather reports, such as hail,
tornadoes and strong winds. This in turn
will help give the public increased warning
time and open the possibilities for new
discoveries to be made!"

--Sounds like what spotters do already. They certainly don't need a vehicle that has a light bar on it.

I need something good to post in my blog too, I think this group should make an entertaining next couple weeks of posts.

-Dan

Michael S. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Midwestchaser said...

LOL now that's just bad luck Michael!

I don't really know what to say that hasn't already been said. These guys are doing it for the glory and attention. They will never come up with any useful research data and even if they do somehow get some they are not capable of analyzing and understanding it. This kid just wanted to be the next Reed Timmer but didnt think you needed to know anything about chasing to be successful at it.

I may be coming off as a dick to him but I've posted a few comments on his videos. It should be interesting to see how miserably this group fails next season, hopefully they don't have to be killed by a tornado before they realize how little they really know.

Michael S. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Midwestchaser said...

Apparently he's offering a weather forecast service...I can only imagine what that entails...

Also, I'm having a field day with my comments on his videos. I feel kinda bad cus I'm being a dick but then I read the comments on MIDSCAR1's Youtube profile and it just made me want to be more of a dick. Does that make me a bad person? LOL

Michael S. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Midwestchaser said...

LMFAO These guys just need to stop. I'm guessing this isn't the last blog entry I post about this group.

Dan said...

Well I posted my comments under my username "n5351a" in youtube and he completely freaked on the one video on how I said he was a danger to himself and others on the road...

Midwestchaser said...

LOL I saw that Dan. He did the same thing to me on a couple comments. I posted a couple more comments tonight, waiting for his reply. I think it's really funny to read the comments on MIDSCAR1's and pokerguy's profile. Maybe it's just me but I think it's extremely funny to see how much ignorance those two really have that they are trying to hide and completely failing at doing.

Midwestchaser said...

This was taken from the MIDSCAR Facebook:

This time of year is South America's tornado season, and it's been living up to its reputation. The 17th had a big supercell in Argentina with a hook echo (most likely meaning there was a tornado there). To my knowledge, no one was injured in this storm. Check out the link to see some pictures! Credit to Reed Timmer for this

Unfortuanately I can't underline or highlight what I want to point out in that statement, but I think all of us know what part of that statement is incorrect.

Dan said...

I posted this on one of his videos where he really talks about not caring what his lightbar does with people or causes. Wow, I myself never actually knew how illegal even an amber lightbar is in some states.This is what I posted:

FYI...In Illinois it is illegal to have an amber lightbar on your vehicle, unless you meet certain requirements, which you don't meet.

Read into your statutes:

(625 ILCS 5/12‑215) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 12‑215) Sec. 12‑215. Oscillating, rotating or flashing lights on motor vehicles. Except as otherwise provided in this Code:

(b) The use of amber oscillating, rotating or flashing lights, whether lighted or unlighted, is prohibited

Also if you step into some states with a lightbar not only is it illegal, it also qualifies as impersonating an officer and then an officer can arrest you under that charge. I've seen it happen to chasers. Don't let it happen to you.

Michael S. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michael S. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Midwestchaser said...

LOL the MIDSCAR guy and the poker guy are just incredibly ignorant and stubborn. The poker guy is asking for people's accredidation as chasers. WTF? If he knew half of what he thinks he knows about chasing he'd know there is no test score or certificate to show him that I am a real chaser.

Also, apparently the MIDSCAR guy blocked me from posting comments on his profile and videos so looks like you guys are gonna have to pick up where I left off.

I just want to make a note to anyone reading this post and these comments who thinks I'm just doing all this for fun and to make this kid feel bad...That is not why I did any of this. I'm trying to get this kid to realize what a mistake he's making. Sure, maybe I was a bit harsh about it, but this kid came off the same way to me so I went to town. I'm not doing this cus I was bored and wanted something to do...

Michael S. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dan said...

I also will back Dean up 100% as it seems he may be the next to be attacked. I don't know him 100% personally, but know plenty of chasers that would also back him, who would back me,so I would turn around and do the favor back. I've read his stuff and I can say he knows what he is talking about.

Sometimes "kids"=MIDSCAR need to grow up.

Michael S. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Midwestchaser said...

LMFAO Those guys are goons. Unfortunately I'm sure they aren't the only kids who are gonna try to intercept tornadoes with no idea of what they're doing next season. Good thing for Darwinism, eh?

I think the pokerguy was talking about Chad Cowan. He refutes his own arguement about Cowan not being accredited by saying that he has some kickass pics of wicked storms? I guess that's not enough any more, eh? In the eyes of the public (yep, these kids are still considered public to me no matter how bad they want us to think they're chasers)Anyways, in the eye of the public, the only way you're a true chaser any more is if you pull a Reed Timmer and drive in to the middle of a tornado. Anything less and we are just a wannabe to these people. Funny thing is, these people have way less pics and video to show than we do! So what does that make them?!? Maybe we should ask. But they'd probably make up some bullshit story about how they were right next to the MOST INCREDIBLY AWESOME INSANE EF5 EVER! but managed to get ZERO video of it. Or they did get video, but the MOST INCREDIBLY AWESOME INSANE EF5 EVER turned out to be just another rain shaft they mistook for a tornado. /END ANOTHER RANT/ LOL, didnt expect to go on such a tangent there.